Monday, May 31, 2010

Week 1 report

Report for the week (24-5-10  to 31-5-10)

*Downloaded the Angstrom demo image and logged into the uboot shell
*Partitioned SD card  and setup angstrom image on it
*Booted Angstrom demo image on the Beagleboard
*Made the final draft for circuits to be used for motor control and speaker control
*Got the blog upto speed

*Control Beagleboard through VNC.
*Study other such drivers and start working on the architecture.
*Start breadboarding the circuits

*Output is not showing on the TV screen through S video
*Mouse not working through the usb port 

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Born to Run : Out of the box experience

I had been waiting with bated breath for couple of weeks to receive my BeagleBoard but was a bit sad when I learned that my shipment had been lost in transit.

A new shipment was created, through Digikey this time, and to my pleasant surprise the package arrived on time.
It was Fedex this time as compared to DHL the last time around.
Thanks Cathy for making the new shipment !!

I opened up the package and wow! I had not expected the Beagleboard to be this small and light!!.
My father could not believe this was a SBC.

I then powered it up and hooked it to my television with a S video cable and the vertical colour bars appeared.

But all was not well !!My plans of world domination were cut short by the BeagleBoard not giving out any data on the serial port. After a bit of discussion on IRC (#beagle) and using the hack suggested by drinkcat , a fellow Beagleboard GSOC participant, the problem was fixed.

It turns out that nothing was wrong with the beagleboard or the usb to serial converter which I was using. The IDC10-DB9 cable was wired the wrong way and a simple rewiring job was all that was needed.

Now I am serially controlling the beagleboard shell.
Onto setting up the development environment, building Angstrom, booting the BB from a memory card.
And not to forget world domination!!

TO DO: Post Pictures

Sparks : An Introduction

A warm welcome to everyone reading this blog.
This blog is meant to document my trials and tribulations, little victories and successes as a student participating in the Google Summer of Code 2010.

After much hardwork , discussion (irc chats) and a couple of sleepless nights I submitted my application to the on 7th April. The application underwent a rigorous review and I was informed on the 26th of April that my application had made the cut. It is the best birthday gift I have ever received :D.

The idea involves building a driver to exploit the latent Pulse Width Modulation capabilities of the Beagleboard , developing a couple of demo applications of the driver and document them in an easy to follow manner.